Re: [xmca] social memory

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Sun Dec 30 2007 - 11:55:54 PST

I think there are potentially helpful chapters in this book:

Knowing, teaching, and learning history : national and international
perspectives
by Peter N Stearns; Peter C Seixas; Samuel S Wineburg

Sam Wineburg has a chapter there that’s directly on point. It includes
discussion of his study of where U.S. high school students get their
“memory” of the war in Vietnam (from Forrest Gump, it turns out, more than
any other source, for the subjects that he interviewed). Wineburg
interviewed fifteen students, their parents, and their teachers.

Wineburg includes reference to Halbwachs’s Collective Memory and other
relevant literature.

One of the other chapters is by James Wertsch, using Bakhtinian concepts
in discussion of his work on the vexed issues of history learning in
Estonia around the time of the dissolution of the USSR.

At http://curricublog.org/2007/12/30/history-memory-identity/
I have posted this message with links for more information and help
locating the book, as well as the complete Table of Contents.

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007, Paul Dillon wrote:

> thanks mike,
>
> i wrote the request befrore googling and now see there's a huge amount of stuff out there. the paper you sent on the malagasy rebellion seems especially appropriate.
>
> paul
>
> Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:
> One such paper is attached. There is a subsequent book and several articles
> if anyone wants to follow up.
> mike
>
> On Dec 30, 2007 10:58 AM, Paul Dillon
> wrote:
>
>> A general question for any bibliographic help .
>>
>> I am advising a student preparing his bachillerato (5 year program)
>> thesis. He wants to study how memories of significant events (in this case
>> events during the period of political violence here during the 80s) are
>> transmitted between the generation that experienced them and the generation
>> following. He also would like to explore how this affects "identity" but I
>> have suggested that he simply focus on the transmission of the memories of
>> events that affected the entire group of community members with whom he's
>> working. I suspect that questions of identity (us/them) will emerge in the
>> process of exploring this process.
>>
>> So, could anyone help me with some biblio references in this direction?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> Paul

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education