Re: [xmca] E-Learning article from TC Record

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Tue Dec 18 2007 - 11:44:58 PST

I cannot contribute reducing Michael's frustrations, but I believe it is
really unclear what the potential uses of the internet to mediate education
will become in the next
decade, but I hope that those who theorize these matters will take into
considertion the considerable positive educational experiences we have been
able to use
by connecting colleges classes to each other, running live, interactive,
clasess with an "up close" , almost face-face feel to them, to small joint
seminars where it
really does feel "face to face"...... the distance and technical mediation
becomes transparent and great education can occur.

Even Skype, which is currently free in many parts of the world, has enabled
some great academic discussions at great distance that otherwise would not
take place at all.

These are very modest beginning, but they have been very successful
beginnings, of new forms of international academic discouses on topics of
concern..

mike