Re: [xmca] Terms of Endearment

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Thu Dec 13 2007 - 17:24:56 PST

Welcome to the list, Louise!
I went to England from Australia aged 21 and then returned aged 40.
In terms of terms of endearment, when I came back, I was bowled over by how
when I phoned a company the person at the other end would pick up the phone
and say "Hi, this is Julie" or something. First name terms for complete
strangers! This was combined with me embarrassing myself continuously
because despite being the union rep. wherever I worked all my time in the
UK, back in Australia I was constantly finding myself paying deference to
my betters where it was not expected. I got over this in a couple of weeks
mind you. :-)
On the other hand, when I had arrived in London back in 1967 it was
wonderful to be able to walk out on to the street and not have to be
prepared to defend myself or run for my life, at a moment's notice. But
Australia had caught up to London and overtaken it in terms of public
safety by 1985.
Andy

At 04:49 PM 13/12/2007 -0800, you wrote:

>No message came through andy
>mike
>On Dec 13, 2007 4:33 PM, Andy Blunden
><<mailto:ablunden@mira.net>ablunden@mira.net> wrote: