RE: [xmca] Perezhivanie and Catharsis?

From: Peter Smagorinsky <smago who-is-at uga.edu>
Date: Tue Dec 04 2007 - 11:42:47 PST

I just talked with my Russian-native colleague Viktoria Driagina, and she
helped with a few things:
Pronunciation: per'-uh-jhi-von'-i-uh
As she understands the term, it refers to the process of working
through/reliving through a (usually negative) experience. And so catharsis
isn't quite right because it refers more to the resolution than to the
process. One problem with this interpretation is that I may be relying too
heavily on the US notion of catharsis; Viktoria indeed wondered what Russian
term might have been translated into catharsis.
It is possible, she noted, to use perezhivanie in relation to a more
positive noun (e.g., happiness), and so it's not exclusively tied to bad
experiences though often is concerned with them.
Viktoria deals with these issues in her own work. I'm attach an article she
coauthored on Russian emotional vocabulary in American learners' narratives.
A couple of excerpts:
English,
for instance, has no exact translation of
the Russian verb pereivat (perezhivat') that
refers to the process of worrying, taking things
hard and experiencing them keenly, or, literally,
suffering things through.
Together with the corresponding noun
rasstrostvo (rasstroistvo), these choices accounted
for 32% of the emotion word corpus.
Rasstraivat'sia is not the only frequently used
verb-the other two popular choices are pereivat
 (perezhivat' ) 'to suffer, to worry, to experience
something keenly' (18 tokens, 8% of the
emotion word corpus) and plakat 'to cry' (10
tokens, 4.6%). As noted earlier, perezhivat' is a
language-specific word that does not have an exact
translation equivalent in English. As a verb, it
can be used in all three tenses (past, present, and
future) but only in an imperfective aspect; its perfective
counterpart, pereit (perezhit' ), means
'to survive, to live through'.