Re: [xmca] Progress Pubishers

From: bella kotik <bella.kotik who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun Dec 02 2007 - 03:23:47 PST

Sure, Mike, there is no one correct translation as this discussion is a
proof for it, but those who know possible contexts can choose the most
appropriate word. I perezhyla the role of scientific editor of translation
LSV "Myshlenie i Rech" into Hebrew. Sometimes I had to spend half an hour or
more explaining to the literary editor the meaning of a certain word or
expression.
Bella Kotik-Friedgut

On 12/1/07, Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you really think that is a one correct translation, Bella?
> LSV uses the term, perezhivanie and we have seen how polysemiic that word
> is
> in Russian, never mind in translation/
>
> In the psych literature, I sort of prefer definitions of
> perezhivanie that
> translate roughly
> as "intensely emotional experience" or "intense lived through experience."
> The Russian-American
> differences in the "cognition/emotion" relationship I think interfere in
> this regard.
>
> So, Russian style, I might say that my wife and I "perezhil" the Cuban
> missile crises while post docs
> in Moscow, or we "perezhil" the 111 avtobus from the National hotel to MGU
> main campus. Both experiences
> were intense, were topics of later discussion, etc. The idea of
> translating
> "peak experience" as "peak perezhivanie"
> seems to work only in so far as the intensity of emotion aspect is
> highlighted. Usually in my experience, "peak" is
> used to refer to the positive end of the emotional expression.
>
> Might someone get a grad student to pull together all the discussions of
> perezhivanie at XMCA and reflect back to
> us what we have collectively muddled around to?
> mike
>

> On Dec 1, 2007 9:10 AM, bella kotik <bella.kotik@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > As perhaps some of you know, Vygotsky's family is preparing for
> > publication
> > a 15 volume collection of his works which will include the archive
> > documents. Then the really correct new translation would be needed.
> > Bella Kotik-friedgut

Sincerely yours Bella Kotik-Friedgut