RE: [xmca] dynamics of learning and development

From: Peter Smagorinsky <smago who-is-at uga.edu>
Date: Thu Nov 29 2007 - 05:56:15 PST

Just one addendum: Two friends and I are editing a Handbook on Adolescent
Literacy (Guilford, 2008). When writing the intro and defining literacy,
when all was said and done and after reviewing much writing on the topic, we
returned to Scribner and Cole's definition from way back in 1981:
This review suggests the importance of Scribner and Cole's (1981) insight
that literacy is a social and cultural practice, i.e.,
a recurrent, goal-directed sequence of activities using a particular
technology and particular systems of knowledge . . . [a set of] socially
developed and patterned ways of using technology and knowledge to accomplish
tasks. . . . [Literacy consists of] a set of socially organized practices
which make use of a symbol system and a technology for producing and
disseminating it. Literacy is not simply knowing how to read and write a
particular script but applying this knowledge for specific purposes in
specific contexts of use. The nature of these practices, including, of
course, their technological aspects, will determine the kinds of skills
("consequences") associated with literacy. (p. 236)

I haven't found anything better. Peter

Peter Smagorinsky
The University of Georgia
125 Aderhold Hall