Re: [xmca] on self and identity - a request

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun Nov 25 2007 - 13:31:27 PST

Hi Susan-- Thanks for helping me to understand how to connect Cain's
statement to social epistemology.
Serendipitously, I am reading a paper by Jenson, de Castell, & Bryson
entitled "Girl Talk": Gender, equity, and identity discourses in a
school-based computer culture" It can be found at
http://educ.ubc.ca/faculty/bryson/gentech/gentechart.htm

I think this paper may be directly helpful. It is about an intervention
study exploring the ways in which gender is discursively constructed in
order to
create conditions for discursive re-negotiating gender roles. This is not
your explicit topic, but the paper has several examples that may be of
relevance
in addition to its overall perspective.

I hope Martin comes in out of the cold, as Tony suggested, in order to help
us along with this discussion.
I am remembering that a little while back we were focused on the historical
particularity of concerns with identity
in relationship to the idea of personality as used in the Russian CHAT
tradition. In coming to know better more
recent, Anglophone, work on identity which (again my memory may be deceiving
me!) does not employ the term
personality as a key conceptual tool, I personally hope we do not lose that
earlier set of questions.
mike