Is Martin Packer in the house? Re: [xmca] Re: Boris assists Mike assists Eric

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Sun Nov 25 2007 - 09:35:11 PST

Mike,

It's been a while since I've read the Lave & Wenger book, which I think
both of them regard as representing a transition toward the formulations
that they would (respectively) offer today.

I was referring to Wenger's COMMUNITIES OF PRACTICE: LEARNING, MEANING,
AND IDENTITY. Pages 145-221 make up "Part II: IDENTITY," which is a major
theme for him.

The Table of Contents can be viewed by clicking on the book cover graphic
at
http://www.amazon.com/Communities-Practice-Learning-Meaning-Identity/dp/0521663636/

At AERA few years ago I attended a great session presenting research-based
formulations of identity with Paul Cobb, Na'ilah Nasir, and Anna Sfard.
The discussant was Martin Packer, who gave one of the best presentations I
have ever heard from someone in the discussant role. If Martin sees this
from wherever he is right now, maybe he would have something to add.

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716

twhitson@udel.edu