RE: [xmca] Grad studies at UD: Sociocultural and Communal Approaches to education (SCA)

From: Eugene Matusov <ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Fri Nov 23 2007 - 14:44:00 PST

Dear Mike and everybody--

SCA program (Sociocultural and Community-based Approaches to research and
education) at the University of Delaware (School of Education). Tony Whitson
and I are part of the program. Please feel free to pass this info to
prospective grad students who might be interested to apply (our deadline is
on February 1st, 2008). We are in our second year of existence and we are
fast growing program in terms of faculty and grad students. Please do not
hesitate contacting Tony or me, if you have questions.

Thanks,

Eugene

---------------------
Eugene Matusov, Ph.D.
Professor of Education
School of Education
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716, USA

email: ematusov@udel.edu
fax: 1-(302)-831-4110
website: http://ematusov.soe.udel.edu
publications: http://ematusov.soe.udel.edu/vita/publications.htm
---------------------

Sociocultural and Community-based Approaches to research and education (SCA)

The SCA specialization views education as contextual, dialogic, and
relational. We recognize that learning is shaped by institutions, cultures,
communities (including on-line communities), practices, technology, and
histories. We are interested in how teachers, students, families, community
members, and the society at large "make sense" of the principles and
practices of education in complex and sometimes contradictory ways. We seek
to investigate the purposes of education and to create models of equitable
quality education.

Our perspective includes, but is not limited to, research done in the area
of situated cognition, critical pedagogy, feminist theory, disabilities
studies, and so on. It also encompasses humanities-based approaches, such as
philosophy and history; sociocultural approaches, and social science
approaches grounded in sociology, psychology, and anthropology.

The SCA specialization emphasizes the development of expertise in conducting
high-quality research on significant issues in sociocultural and
community-centered approaches to education. We also strive to prepare
teacher educators who will engage preservice and in-service teachers,
educational leaders and policy makers, and families and students in the work
of examining and developing educational communities.

For me details please go to
http://www.udel.edu/educ/graduate/phd/phd_ed_overview.html#SCA