Re: [xmca] two more on pointing

From: Nacho Montero García-Celay <nacho.montero who-is-at uam.es>
Date: Wed Nov 21 2007 - 04:18:43 PST

Mike,
I replayed this message before but I have not receipt it so, I'll try again.
First of all, I'm not sure about the original source of Vygotsky's
hyphotesis on the origin of pointing gesture (Mind in Society, Collected
works...). Could you please refresh my memory?
Second, I think that there are enough empirical evidence today to reject
the idea of reaching becoming pointing. The two gestures appears in
parallel and works differently.
Third, any way, it doesn't mean that a Vygotskian perspective on the origin
and functions of pointing -communicative and self-regulatory- could not be
sustained. We have some data on this but still on works...
NACHO.
PS: How was the moving? Ready for letters :-)?