RE: [xmca] Streamed Discussion of Development in CHAT Theory

From: Emily Duvall <emily who-is-at uidaho.edu>
Date: Tue Nov 20 2007 - 17:07:13 PST

Hi David,

Honestly, I just love a good derivative. It just thrills me,
aesthetically speaking, to make those kinds of connections. I grew up
with Bodmer's The Loom of Language... literally. My dad used to read it
to me... :-) I also love the thrill of watching people break down words
and then reconstruct and contextualize and make meanings... whether it's
a 6 year old or one of my undergrads... It's just exciting to me. Here,
for example, is a wee bit o' fun: http://www.etymonline.com/

More seriously, though, I don't think of etymology is necessarily chain
and linked to a dictionary and I have difficulty with blanketing all
etymology as an 'invented' tradition verses the 'not invented'. This
dichotomization just doesn't fly for me - I understand etymology as the
larger conceptualization of word origins and history and all that the
latter embraces.

Regarding your statements on child development, deictics and
demonstratives, etc. I'm not sure how words like car and apple can have
no etymology... where does etymology begin? In the gesture? In
scientific concepts?
~ Em