RE: [xmca] activity theory 3rd generation

From: <ERIC.RAMBERG who-is-at spps.org>
Date: Sun Nov 18 2007 - 03:11:41 PST

            Andy:
I certainly agree the triangle is troublesome. Even Yro, in "Learning by
Expanding" breaks up the triangle at the activity angle to point out there
is more going on in activity then merely activity. For the simple idea of
tools/artifacts mediating behavior I think the triangle serves a purpose,
beyond that simple explanation it becomes troubleesome. Vygotsky pointed
out that thought and language followed parallel lines of development,
should they be represented by separate triangles? Vygotsky also pointed
out that learning and instruction should be measured differently, should
they then be represented by separate triangles?

Emily, I really like the apple metaphor because it really illustrates how
difficult it is to get at the nugget of study. In Vygotsky's short paper
"Thinking and Speech" (available in the collected works) he wants to
capture the moment when an infant makes the leap from "thinking" about the
world around her to "speaking" about the world around her. He uses
research with Eidetics as proof that this moment is captured but I have to
admit if Vygotsky explains the entire apple I can't see it.

eric

P.S. James liked to use a squirrel going around a tree as a metaphor. This
can be found in his lecture on Pragmatism.