Re: [xmca] activity theory 3rd generation

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sat Nov 17 2007 - 15:33:49 PST

I am hoping that the proponents of the 3rd generation idea Harry is working
with will help Mark out, David. In cultural psychology when taking about
reading instruction (work done with Peg Griffin
and Katie King and others in a hopelessly second generation age!) we were
simply trying to communicate/represent, the systems of mediation we thought
were present as resources to teachers
and learners and how they might be coordinated to enable the child to
discover what reading for meaning might be.

As to having ideal and material triangles separately represented, I have
not made it that far yet either. I do think that all cultural artifacts are
both material and ideal, and it may well make sense to extend this approach
to all elements of an activity system, I just have not gotten there in my
thinking.

Thanks for reminding me to remind everyone that the POLLS ARE OPEN at XMCA!!
Vote your preferences. Generally we do not allow lobbying within 100 feet of
the polls so I am not sure how to
deal with your recomnendation for what to vote for, but thanks for reminding
me to remind all.

mike