[xmca] Grad studies at UCSD

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Fri Nov 16 2007 - 12:51:48 PST

I am sure a lot of XMCA members are associated with interesting grad
programs. Below is the one I spend most of my time on
although I also participate in psychology and cog sci. There is a group
here very interested in issues of mediation and development
as well as disability studies. If you know of interested students, have
them check the full web page at
communication.ucsd.edu.

Perhaps others will post similar notices?
mike
---------------------------

*Who comes to UCSD's Department of Communication?*

Some arrive with undergraduate backgrounds in history or economics,
sociology or literature, political science or psychology. They might have
grown dissatisfied with conventional disciplinary boundaries that do not fit
their sense of the important questions concerning an increasingly global
world. They may chafe at social and political theory that largely ignores
media institutions or cultural phenomena such as nationalism or gender, or
they find unsatisfying the analysis of texts in literary studies that
ignores how people read and use texts in daily life. They are looking for a
field of study more open to the world beyond the university walls than they
have found in other quarters.

Others arrive here after having worked in the mass media and grown
disenchanted. They love the news business - or film or television or art or
computers - but want these worlds to change. They need perspective, they
want to understand, and they return to school.

Communication at UCSD provides an unusually rich intellectual climate. With
a faculty that maintains a foothold in a variety of other disciplines in the
humanities, arts, and social sciences, students gain a broad exposure to
contemporary intellectual currents. On the other hand, this wide array of
intellectual delights requires an autonomy and self-discipline on the part
of students greater than in most graduate programs. There is no "one true
path" to a doctorate in this program. Rather, there is great variety in the
theories and methods the faculty maintains students should master.
Therefore, there is not only more support for intellectual adventure than in
many departments but also more room for intellectual floundering. The
department understands this and places great emphasis on close faculty
advising.

We consider our graduate students to be among the most historically
sensitive, theoretically sophisticated, and intellectually cosmopolitan of
any communication students in the country. We are pleased that several of
our first doctoral students are already teaching at other leading programs
around the world.

Top <http://communication.ucsd.edu/graduate/grad.html#top>