Re: [xmca] G. Gould

From: E. Knutsson <eikn6681 who-is-at student.su.se>
Date: Thu Nov 15 2007 - 10:45:58 PST

Who told you that you "have to make a choice" between the two Gould's? Who am I
to be a arbiter of taste? G was a gifted pianoplayer, S. J. was a gifted
rhetoric. In both cases there's obviously a lot of noise.

As Kent Blaser remarked in an article on S. J. Gould: ”Postmodernists will
think of him [as?] a hopeless traditionalist, while defenders of hard core
legend science accuse him of relativism for undermining the objectivity of
science. Perhaps this just means that Gould is as confused as the rest of us,
and that looking to him for enlightenment is misguided.”

E.