[xmca] New APA Division/Qualitative Inquiry

From: Lois Holzman <lholzman who-is-at eastsideinstitute.org>
Date: Tue Nov 06 2007 - 12:07:00 PST

Dear XMCA-ers,

I have been working as part of Ken Gergenıs initiative to gather enough
support for the establishment of a new APA division in Qualitative Inquiry.
This division is sorely needed, as the interest in, use of and debate around
various qualitative methods abounds and yet has no voice in the professional
association of psychologists. As Ken says in the attached letter:

³In the social sciences more generally there has been a burgeoning of new
forms of qualitative inquiry, and a lively debate on their potentials,
limitations, and philosophical implications. Journals and handbooks are
numerous. Yet American psychologists have played almost no role in these new
directions. We believe psychology has a great deal both to offer and to gain
in regard to these developments in qualitative inquiry. However, at present
there is no forum in which relevant issues and practices can be pursued.
Qualitative research is now scattered across a number of divisions and
marginalized as a mode of inquiry. There is no central forum where such
inquiry can be explored in terms of its potentials, and placed under focused
attention.²

Over 800 valid signatures have been collected. We need FORTY more by
January. Here is how you can help.
1. If you are already a member of APA, simply sign the attached petition and
follow instructions for sending it.
2. Pass this along to colleagues and ask them to do the same.
3. If you are not an APA member but are eligible to be a full member (not a
student or an international affiliate member), I am asking you to join APA
and then sign the petition.

Please let me know if you can do this and how many others you can sign up.

With thanks for helping to make psychology more relevant,
Lois