Re: [xmca] Publish or Perish indices

From: Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth who-is-at uvic.ca>
Date: Mon Nov 05 2007 - 09:13:32 PST

Depending on university, the count books more, especially those
published by university presses (Harvard, Cambridge, Chicago). Michael
On 5-Nov-07, at 9:00 AM, Carol Macdonald wrote:

Do Americans count books in their rankings? In South Africa, we finally
persuaded the powers that be that writing a book meant that you are
recognised as some kind of expert. It used to only be ISI publications.
Carol

On 05/11/2007, David Preiss <davidpreiss@uc.cl> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> I think that, as always, everything depends on context. I know of
> places that use the impact factor of journals to estimate economic
> incentives for academic publications. If we follow this policy
> strictly we better don't do any research on education at all and jump
> into more lucrative fields such as neuroscience (please read
> ironically) . What goes wrong with this policy, and softer ones such
> as assesing an academic according to the journals where he or she
> publishes, is that nobody care about the IDEAS the person is thinking
> and everything get reduced to superficial quantitative measures. So
> someone can be a JPSP author instead of a social psychologist that
> studies prejudice, for instance. How would have been rated, for
> instance, Jean Piaget's books according to these rankings? Or
> Vygotsky's? Or Freud's? Most of their contributions are not in
> journals but in enduring books, that old and neglected medium for
> thinking.
> David
>

> On Nov 5, 2007, at 11:05 AM, Wolff-Michael Roth wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter, thanks for your comments. David IS right in some sense,
>> as I get frequent requests for measures of quality, often times
>> what our rejection rate is, when people come up for tenure. Tenure
>> committees, too, contact me to find out about rejection rates. And
>> I don't think this is a good measure for the quality of a journal.
>> Cheers,
>> Michael
>>

>> On 5-Nov-07, at 2:49 AM, Peter Smagorinsky wrote:
>>
>> David, I think you overstate the case. Many people are taking
>> risks--just check
>> the vitas of the people on this list. And I've found that journals
>> are very
>> receptive to out-of-the-box studies, as long as they're done with
>> sufficient
>> rigor, and with rigor broadly defined.
>>
>> While impact ratings carry some weight, I've never heard them used
>> in any
>> tenure/promotion cases at 2 universities. Rather, journal
>> reputations carry
>> weight. And so MCA's rep matters more than its impact rating.
>>
>> Like many of you, I'm on several editorial boards and so don't see
>> any reason to
>> cite work just because it's published in a particular journal; I
>> try to cite whatever
>> informs my work. If MCA articles fit that profile, then they get
>> cited, but not
>> gratuitously to elevate an impact score. If boosting that score is
>> an editorial
>> goal, then the best approach is to continue publishing scholarship
>> that has an
>> impact on other people's thinking and writing.
>>
>> Peter

"Pax Te Cum"
6 Andover Road
Westdene