Re: [xmca] Re: The social origins of pointing??

From: Rachel Cody <rcody who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun Nov 04 2007 - 18:55:49 PST

Pointing being foundational for language is too strong of a wording for
Tomasello's perspective in the article that we read. Although those were
actually my words (when summarizing the issue of pointing), Deb is quite
correct in pointing out that Tomasello related pointing to language in
regards to the underlying processes they both require: "joint attention,
reference via perspectives, reference to absent entities, cooperative
motives to help and to share, and other embodiments of shared
intentionality" (Tomasello, 719). He discusses pointing as "paving the
way" (718) for language emergence, allowing for joint attention on
objects to serve as a communication topic or focus. These topics have
the same communication purposes in pointing as they do in language.

So although Tomasello sees pointing as being a predecessor of language
and relying upon the same social-cognitive developments, he does not
argue that pointing is necessary for language to emerge.

For Paul's earlier question about infants realizing that pointing would
direct the attention of adults, Tomasello does use Liszkowski's (2004)
experiments regarding pointing and adult's reactions to demonstrate that
infants expect adults to react to pointing in a specific way. If the
adult only focused on the infant or did nothing, the infants reactions
were to repeat pointing or be less likely to point in future scenarios.
Additionally, if the infant pointed and the adult only looked at where
the infant pointed (which could be understood as pointing only
functioning to direct attention) the infants were not satisfied. It was
the joint attention to the infant /and /the object that satisfied the
infant. So this would indicate that infants knew pointing would direct
attention, but that by itself was not sufficient to satisfy the infant.

Rachel