Re: [xmca] Publish or Perish indices

From: Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth who-is-at uvic.ca>
Date: Sun Nov 04 2007 - 17:25:53 PST

Hi all,
further to the issue of how to get our journal more valorized. Here
the Thompson information in impact factor, which is the factor most
scientists consider to be the important thing to watch (SCIENCE has
IF=30, NATURE IF=27, J LEARN SCI IF~3). Here is how it is calculated

Figure 1: Calculation for journal impact factor.
A= total cites in 2006
B= 2006 cites to articles published in 2004-5 (this is a subset of A)
C= number of articles published in 2004-5
D= B/C = 2006 impact factor

I did a quick count. In 2006, we had B=11 cites to articles published
in 2004-5
We had published C=(I don't know whether they count commentaries,
book reviews, assuming they don't:) 21
D=B/C=0.52

In Education, this would put us at a rank of about 49 out of 100
journals; in Ed Psych on 27 out of 40, in Social Sciences
Interdisciplinary at rank 31 of 48. I also believe that the citations
have to come from other journals, at least, this is what a quick
check in another journal appeared to indicate (J LEARN SCI, which is
#1 in Education, #2 in PSYCH ED).

So what you can do is publish in ISI journals, and when you do, cite
works in our journal MCA.

Cheers,
Michael