Re: [xmca] Publish or Perish indices

From: Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth who-is-at uvic.ca>
Date: Sun Nov 04 2007 - 14:27:39 PST

HI there,
for anyone interested in the actual citation numbers, this is what
you have to do:

1. You go to ISI Web of Science
2. Do a "Cited Reference Search"
3. Type into "CITED WORK" : MIND CULTURE ACTIVIT
4. Hit "Search"

This gives you 241 pieces of cited work, some of them more heavily
cited than others. Citations have to come from journals in the
database. Which ones there are, you can find out by going to the
"Journal Citation Reports", Social Sciences, and you will see that
there is Education, Education/special, Psychology (different subareas
including "Educational"), and all the other social science areas. In
each, you can list journals alphabetically or by impact factor
ranking, which is the factor sociologists use to evaluate all sorts
of things about communities of practice. Many universities use the
ranking as a way to establish the impact of their faculty, and this
is where the query came from that Mike mentioned.

So you can help our journal if you cite MCA pieces when you publish
in other ISI journals.

Being entered into ISI is a function of

1. publishing on time (which is what I have been working on since the
beginning of my editorship, we continually are working on this),
2. high citation rankings (something all of YOU can contribute,
3. high quality editorial board (something MIKE has been crucial to
establishing).
4. There are a few other criteria that escape me at the moment.

Cheers,

Michael