RE: [xmca] Peirce as Hegel, but "in costume"

From: Michael Glassman <MGlassman who-is-at ehe.osu.edu>
Date: Sun Nov 04 2007 - 10:59:49 PST

Hey,

I just wanted to add a short coda to the discussion about Peirce. People may get the idea that Peirce was somehow central to the early Pragmatist movement - he really wasn't. James and Dewey and a few others recognized his genius and importance - but for the most part people thought he would be forgotten (and I suppose he was to a certain extent). The person who was supposed to carry Pragmatism forward was F.C.S. Schiller, not as big as Dewey I suppose, but quite famous. I have heard tell (and don't know this for sure) that Peirce was initially resurrected by language theorists because of his ideas on semiotics (not even thinking that much about Pragmatic philosophy). In some ways this accounts for disparate understandings of Peirce I suppose. Today old Ferdinand Schiller is all but forgotten (I had never heard of him until I read him in a speech given by James and then looked him up).

Sic gloria transit (did I get that right).

Michael