Re: [xmca] Peirce as Hegel, but "in costume"

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Nov 03 2007 - 14:18:02 PDT

Although it might be totally superficial, I’ve always been struck by the parallel between Peirce’s 9 categories of signs and the 9 fundamental sections of Hegel’s logic.

                                                  Being

  Cualisigno – Quality

  Icono – Quantity

  Rhema – Measure

                                                  Essence

  Sinsigno – Ground

  Índice – Appearance

  Dicisigno – Actuality

                                                  Notion

  Legisigno – Subjective

  Símbolo – Objective

  Argumento - Idea

  Is there any connection here or is it just coincidental?

  Paul

Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:
  Here's some more Peirce on Hege; (and to bed)

The truth is that pragmaticism is closely allied to the Hegelian absolute
idealism, from which, however, it is sundered by its vigorous denial that
the third category (which Hegel degrades to a mere stage of thinking)
suffices to make the world, or is even so much as self-sufficient. Had
Hegel, instead of regarding the first two stages with his smile of
contempt, held on to them as independent or distinct elements of the triune
Reality, pragmaticists might have looked up to him as the great vindicator
of their truth. (Of course, the external trappings of his doctrine are only
here and there of much significance.) For pragmaticism belongs essentially
to the triadic class of philosophical doctrines, and is much more
essentially so than Hegelianism is. (Indeed, in one passage, at least,
Hegel alludes to the triadic form of his exposition as to a mere fashion of
dress.)

* * *

Had I more space, I now ought to show how important for philosophy is the
mathematical conception of continuity. Most of what is true in Hegel is a
darkling glimmer of a conception which the mathematicians had long before
made pretty clear, and which recent researches have still further illustrated.

Among the many principles of Logic which find their application in
Philosophy, I can here only mention one. Three conceptions are perpetually
turning up at every point in every theory of logic, and in the most rounded
systems they occur in connection with one another. They are conceptions so
very broad and consequently indefinite that they are hard to seize and may
be easily overlooked. I call them the conceptions of First, Second, Third.
First is the conception of being or existing independent of anything else.
Second is the conception of being relative to, the conception of reaction
with, something else. Third is the conception of mediation, whereby a first
and second are brought into relation. To illustrate these ideas, I will
show how they enter into those we have been considering. The origin of
things, considered not as leading to anything, but in itself, contains the
idea of First, the end of things that of Second, the process mediating
between them that of Third. A philosophy which emphasizes the idea of the
One is generally a dualistic philosophy in which the conception of Second
receives exaggerated attention; for this One (though of course involving
the idea of First) is always the other of a manifold which is not one. The
idea of the Many, because variety is arbitrariness and arbitrariness is
repudiation of any Secondness, has for its principal component the
conception of First. In psychology Feeling is First, Sense of reaction
Second, General conception Third, or mediation. In biology, the idea of
arbitrary sporting is First, heredity is Second, the process whereby the
accidental characters become fixed is Third. Chance is First, Law is
Second, the tendency to take habits is Third. Mind is First, Matter is
Second, Evolution is Third.

* * *

The Hegelian philosophy is such an anancasticism [evolution by necessity].
With its revelatory religion, with its synechism (however imperfectly set
forth), with its reflection,the whole idea of the theory is superb, almost
sublime. Yet, after all, living freedom is practically omitted from its
method. The whole movement is that of a vast engine, impelled by a vis a
tergo, with a blind and mysterious fate of arriving at a lofty goal. I mean
that such an engine it would be, if it really worked; but in point of fact,
it is a Keely motor. Grant that it really acts as it professes to act, and
there is nothing to do but accept the philosophy. But never was there seen
such an example of a long chain of reasoning, - shall I say with a flaw in
every link? - no, with every link a handful of sand, squeezed into shape in
a dream. Or say, it is a pasteboard model of a philosophy that in reality
does not exist. If we use the one precious thing it contains, the idea of
it, introducing the tychism [evolution by chance, Darwin] which the
arbitrariness of its every step suggests, and make that the support of a
vital freedom which is the breadth of the spirit of love, we may be able to
produce that genuine agapasticism [evolution by creativity, Lamarck], at
which Hegel was aiming.

=== message truncated ===