RE: [xmca] George Herbert Mead. help please

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Thu Nov 01 2007 - 05:49:54 PDT

Mmm, that's an answer, Micharl.
Engstrom seems to be saying, amongst other things, that Mead was much
better than his interpreters of the 1980s/90s. The question arose for me in
connection with a paper I am writing about Axel Honneth, including his
appropriation of Mead in the 90s. I had the same view, i.e., that what Mead
said was OK, but Honneth just missed it, and transformed his theory into
typical postmodern "intersubjectivity" (social rather than societal some
would say). When I was challenged and asked to say why I thought Vygotsky
and Leontiev should be used as a foundation in social psychology, instead
of Mead, it was confusing to answer. I actually think that the main
differences between Vygotsky/Leontyev/Luria and Mead/Peirce/Dewey is that
the first group were Russians living in the USSR and the second lot were
Americans living in the USA. - not so much in the actually theoretical
differences between these early figures.
One of the ideas I use in my paper is the contrast between pragmatism in
the "narrow" sense an pragmatism in the "broad" sense. People said, you
mean Mead was pragmatic in the narrow sense and Vygotsky in the broad. No!
Mead is pragmatic in the broad sense, but the "spirit" of American
pragmatism is narrow, and the ideas of great thinkers cannot survive the
spirit of their times and the spirit of their people. (By narrow pragmatism
I mean pragmatism that reduces everything to interactions between
individuals deemed to be the bearers of needs, knowledge etc., and denies
the real existence of universals. By pragmatism in the broad sense, I mean
pragmatism which understands that interactions between individuals happen
by means of universals, which are material artefacts, culture - public
property, so to speak, and this material culture constitutes the
objectivity of universals. The ordinary American pragmatist of the kind I
think you are talking about Michael, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't believe
in theories and ideas, it all comes down just to whether its useful or not.
But Mead and Dewey and Perice were better than that.

Andy

(PS Engstrom answer my question about communicative and instrumental action
a few paragraphs later. Sorry for the stupid question in that other thread
I started, and apologies for forgetting to set "Send text only")