RE: [xmca] Material cognition

From: <ERIC.RAMBERG who-is-at spps.org>
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 08:10:37 PDT

When reading this thread about tacit knowledge I am reminded of facilitated
communication and the far reaching ramifications involved when double blind
studies revealed it was a Ouiji Board illusion. For those unfamiliar with
facilitated communication it was initially used as a technique for people
with sever parkinson's (in Australia I believe) and it allows the person to
communicate on an alphabet board via the facilitation of an able bodied
assistant. Double blind studies have revealed that for parkinson's the
assistance merely calms the tremors to the point that the person is able to
point to the letters they know to spell out their requests and
communications. However, for the uncommunicative autistic individual who
have never learned written language the spelled out words cannot be
attributed to the autistic individual's knowledge. "How could this be",
shouted the proponents. Some researchers had hung their hat on the
aboslute fact of facilitated communication, Syracuse University leading the
way. The facilitators did not believe they were leading the point, they
were sure it was the person with autism that was communicating their
desires and their knowledge. Some even graduated from high school via
facilitated communication.

"What does this have to do with tacit knowledge", you ask? Granted it is
not knowledge gained through experience, however, it is an avenue of
tapping into a persons complex embodied processes. Similar to the method
of double stimulation; while engaged in a mundane task and asked questions
the person is unconsciously accessing tacit knowledge. Sylvia Scribner
conducted an ethnographic study of a milk factory and tapped into the
worker's tacit knowledge in a similar manner. Smart engineers will go to
the job sight and get in the trenches with the workers to access the
worker's tacit knowledge about the particular 'nuts and bolts' of the
project.

It would make sense that in the classroom their would be embedded processes
for teachers to continuously access what knowledge has become tacit for
their students and what knowledge is still ethereal.

what do others consciously or unconsiously think?

eric

                      "Kai Hakkarainen"
                      <kai.hakkarainen@ To: "'eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity'" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
                      joensuu.fi> cc:
                      Sent by: Subject: RE: [xmca] Material cognition
                      xmca-bounces@webe
                      r.ucsd.edu

                      10/30/2007 04:29
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      kai.hakkarainen;
                      Please respond to
                      "eXtended Mind,
                      Culture,
                      Activity"

Dear friends,

I have myself been interested in tacit knowledge for a long time and
extraction of such knowledge is an essential aspect our Knowledge-Practices
Laboratory (www.kp-lab.org) project. Lately I have, however, started to
become dissatisfied for this notion. It appears that while talking about
tacit knowledge we tend to trivialize extremely complex embodied processes.
Or perhaps I am missing a critical discussion or misunderstanding
something.

This kind of simplification takes place, for instance, when we assume that
non-conscious psychic processes, relational expertise, or social practices
may be considered as kinds of knowledge. Notwithstanding its mentalist
presuppositions, the cognitive science of the 80th did not have
difficulties
of talking about tacit knowledge. It was, however, narrowly understood as a
kind of vague or fuzzy representation. It appears to me that a great deal
of
the present organizational discussion addresses tacit knowledge from a
corresponding narrow perspective as a special kind of knowledge
(representation).

If we give up the representational theory of mind and assume that human
beings are embedded in their biological, physical, social, and cultural
environments, our view of tacit knowledge changes considerably. Rather than
seeing it as a kind of representation, it appears as a fundamental aspect
of
human activity. The notion of implicit learning expands our perspective
beyond traditionally conceived tacit knowledge; it was nice that David
brought it up. Also Roger Schank (1999) provides a very useful analysis of
the centrality of implicit learning in his Dynamic Memory Reconsidered. In
one of the thought experiment provided, he proposes that you go to a
closet,
shut off the lights, and try to empty your mind. This turns out to be very
difficult. Your mind appears to have a will of its own. As a consequence,
your thoughts wonder from one to another idea without you being voluntarily
able control the process. In situations like that you get a hint of very
rich subconscious processes all the time going on in your mind. I think
that
such subconscious processes play a far more central role in human cognition
and have deeper implications for our notion of mind than assuming that a
part of your knowledge is tacit in nature. If deliberate and conscious
thinking is an exemption rather than the rule, there are no reasons to
reduce activity to semantic entities.
As an educational researcher I am involved in various effort of
transforming
educational practices in a way that engage students in expert-like
generative working with knowledge. Such educational changes are very hard
come by. While it may be argued that the participants do not have tacit
knowledge needed for more productive educational activity, I believe that
the problem is at a much deeper level. Adopting novel epistemic practices
calls for change in habitus rather than mere change in beliefs. Going
through the educational system has carved into the participants' bodies and
lives very rigid, narrow, and reproductive ways of working with knowledge
(as W.-M. Roth has noticed). Changing education practices is difficult
because both students' and teachers' habitus have adapted to traditional
practices. Even if they would know that changing the habitus would be
desirable, they may not know how to go about trying to make any changes.
They may feel themselves as fishes outside of water as long as they are
required to do something that their habitus does not support. In practice,
this can be seen as insecurity and anxiety, occurrence of repeated
disturbances and breakdowns, and slow or non-existent progress. When the
participants go through a frustrating period of adapting their habitus to
the emerging novel epistemic practices, they start gradually doing better
as
well as feeling better. Going through such double-bind situations appear to
represent much deeper transformation that mere revision of tacit knowledge
implies.
Capturing these kinds of processes require considerable transformation of
the prevailing views of tacit knowledge. If we are expanding the meaning of
this concept substantially, it would be very important to do it explicitly
as well as deliberately distinguish one's approach from the superficial
accounts of tacit knowledge popular in the knowledge-management genre. By
talking about material cognition, investigators are deliberately seeking to
expand the problem space beyond the traditional semantic perspectives. In
practice, it is, however, difficult to break the received frame of mind so
that we are constantly falling to old or otherwise familiar patterns of
explanation.
Best regards,

Kai