[xmca] Material intelligence: cognition extended through technology

From: Kai Hakkarainen <kai.hakkarainen who-is-at joensuu.fi>
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 13:53:41 PDT

Dear Jay,

Thank you again for your insightful analysis of relational meaning making or
whatever term will be found for addressing these issues. I am also myself
fond of Bruno Latour’s actor-network theory and especially his analysis
concerning actants, i.e., active and autonomous artefact laden with agency.
This relates to my interest in extending (material) cognition through
technology.

Originally, I criticized Latour because he disregarded personal
transformations involved in heterogeneous networks and wanted to eliminate
psychological explanations whatsoever. I even published an article about it
(Hakkarainen, K. (2003). Can cognitive explanations be eliminated? Science &
Education, 12, 671-689) by relying on Vygotskian arguments. The story of the
article was in itself interesting. It was originally a long essay written
during my doctoral studies at the University of Toronto in 1992. My
professors said that it was of the same quality as articles published in
respected journals. Because I did not, however, have developed knowledge
practices needed for scientific publication, I did not really know what to
do with it. I sent it to a famous professor for comments. He did not, of
course, respond because it was as really his role to comment a student’s
paper. So the essay was forgotten for ten years. After unsuccessfully
applying a professorship ten years latter, it become painfully clear that I
would need a large number of internationally refereed journal articles in
order to be ever successful. Consequently, I dug the Latour article among
other manuscripts out of my archives, worked through it in couple days, and
sent it to a journal in which it was shortly published. The knowledge
practices that I had developed across a decade made it an easy and
effortless process. It appears to me that this history, in a sense,
beautifully refutes many aspects of my Latour criticism. Without publication
related material intelligence, that Latour was revealing in his
investigations, scientific cognition just does not provide desired outcomes.

I can see that you have a very deep and integrated vision of the physically,
biologically, socially, and temporally distributed nature of human
cognition. One perspective that I would, however, like to foreground is the
historical development of human activity related to the Information and
Communication technologies that are transforming all spheres of life.
Professionals are working with more and more complex, open-ended and
incomplete knowledge-laden objects that break organizational, national, and
cultural boundaries, as many activity theorists have argued. It appears to
me that from these historical transformations emerge both specific
challenges and possibilities of expansion of human activity. For many
academic and personal reasons, I am myself interested whether, how, and to
what extent human personal and collective epistemic capabilities can be
augmented or extended with epistemic technologies and associated practices.
It appears to me that the material basis of our cognition is transforming
with the emergence of cyborg technology that can be integrated with the
human body (neural implants, wearable and mobile collaborative computing)
and provide more and more complex mediation for our collective activity. I
acknowledge that in this field there is a lot of hype and ill-grounded
optimism. I know from my own educational research that technology enhances
human activity only through transformed social practices. Nevertheless, I
think that the profound transformation concerning the very basis of human
activity (its medium, as Georg Ruckriem argue) provides socioculturally
oriented investigator non-trivial theoretical problems to solve. Perhaps
these historical changes are making human material intelligence (distributed
among the rapidly evolving heterogeneous networks of human and
knowledge-laden, autonomous, and smart nonhumans) as something that can be
more concretely empirically investigated.

Sincerely yours,

Kai

  _____