RE: [xmca] From epistemic hospitability to material intelligence

From: Worthen, Helena Harlow <hworthen who-is-at ad.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sat Oct 27 2007 - 07:00:06 PDT

Good morning from central Illinois:

>From what I can tell on the news, the fires in California are settling down. I hope this is true.

I am very interested in, and would like to hear more about, Kai's recent message. I'm attaching it below in case someone else wants to refer to it, although I know we are not supposed to send long cumulative messages. But there are several concepts to which he refers that I would like to hear more about and discuss on this list.

Specifically: material cognition, the "capability of merging and fusing various instruments with our cognitive architecture and collectively developing, cultivating and refining sophisticated material culture," intelligent materiality and material intelligence, digital/physical artefacts, social practices related to working knowledge, epistemic diversity, and the notion that tools (he gives books and papers as an example, I believe) as materialized intelligence.

All of these hover around my central interest, which is the often unspoken (sometimes called "tacit") knowledge that people working develop and share about how to get the work done. For example: a class which we have been asked to teach in November will take place at a plant where the workers are represented by the grainmillers' union. This is an old plant. Under the original management, the workers essentially ran the plant -- they had the knowledge and the means to run the plant efficiently and safely. Then the plant was sold and new management came in. This new management took an adversarial position against the union and attempted to take over control of the work without fully understanding how it was done (without exploring the social practices related to the working knowledge of the plant?). A bitter, non-productive culture developed. Now another new management has taken over, and this new management has gone to the union and together they have approached us to teach a class to the supervisors that is essentially about getting them to respect the working material knowledge that the workers have developed. "Leave us alone and we'll run the plant better than you can ever do it," the union is saying.

I would appreciate a continuation of this discussion of this topic.

Thanks -- Helena Worthen