Re: [xmca] Nobel prize talks stupid things about human intelligence

From: David Preiss <davidpreiss who-is-at uc.cl>
Date: Mon Oct 22 2007 - 13:08:50 PDT

Eirik,

The Steve Connor comment you send us (second link below) tells
exactly why JW was not doing science at all. Particularly, why you
can't infer from an heritability ratio a conclusion about the
intelligence of people that works with you (as Watson say). On the
other hand, something can be statistically heritable and not genetic
at all. A nice explanation is in the Sternberg, Grigorenko and Kidd
paper I sent before.
David

David

On Oct 22, 2007, at 3:16 PM, E. Knutsson wrote:

> Amanda,
>
> JW's comment (http://comment.independent.co.uk/commentators/
> article3075642.ece)
> concludes with this request: "[W]e as scientists, wherever we wish
> to place
> ourselves in this great debate, should take care in claiming what are
> unarguable truths without the support of evidence."
>
> Some of the other comments also seem to give a more balanced view:
>
> http://comment.independent.co.uk/commentators/article3070538.ece
>
> http://comment.independent.co.uk/leading_articles/article3075640.ece
>
> "Curtailing free debate is almost always a mistake. Allowing
> scientists and
> individuals to air their theories openly does not validate them. On
> the
> contrary it allows them to be refuted."
>
> Eirik
>

> On 2007-10-21, at 01:26, Amanda Brovold wrote:
>> Just for the record, it sounds to me as if Watson has suggested he
>> may have
>> been misquoted. In the article linked to 3 messages below he
>> says: "I can
>> understand much of this reaction. For if I said what I was quoted as
>> saying, then I can only admit that I am bewildered by it. To
>> those who have
>> drawn the inference from my words that Africa, as a continent, is
>> somehow
>> genetically inferior, I can only apologise unreservedly. This is
>> not what I
>> meant. More importantly from my point of view, there is no
>> scientific basis
>> for such a belief." I am not sure why the first two sentences of
>> this quote
>> are generally left off when it is repeated. Such common
>> occurrences though
>> (even on this very list) lead me to believe it is plausible that
>> what Watson
>> said my not have been as appalling as what has been passed around
>> makes it
>> seem. I agree that it seems certain he has a view I very much
>> disagree with
>> and seems to be contradicted by the preponderance of evidence.
>> However, I
>> find un-thoughtful knee-jerk responses to such views to be at
>> least as
>> dangerous as the views themselves. I have heard people stress
>> that it is
>> important for academics to respond appropriately to events such as
>> these. I
>> very much agree, it is important for experts in the relevant
>> fields to
>> correct any misunderstandings that stories like this are likely to
>> perpetuate. It is also extremely important though for the academy to
>> remember that academic freedom is absolutely vital. As appalling
>> as views
>> expressed by one academic may be, the expression of controversial
>> view
> [...]

David Preiss, Ph.D.
Subdirector de Extensión y Comunicaciones
Escuela de Psicología
Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
Av Vicuña Mackenna 4860
Macul, Santiago
Chile

Fono: 3544605