Re: [xmca] Disgrace: How a giant of science was brought low | Focus | The Observer

From: David Preiss <davidpreiss who-is-at uc.cl>
Date: Sun Oct 21 2007 - 18:56:05 PDT

E.
Please see responses below your questions.

On Oct 21, 2007, at 7:53 AM, E. Knutsson wrote:

> David P,
>

> 1) How would you define the dividing line between politics and
> science (“this
> is politics, not science”)?

Science is not the kind of activity people make to produce statements
like: "people who have to deal with black employees find this is not
true". That´s not the way hypotheses are tested and refuted.

> 2) How would you define free speech? You are criticizing scholars
> "trying to
> sell us the idea that opposing these remarks is an attack on free
> speech (in a
> similar manner the neoconservatives think that criticism of the
> government is
> unpatriotic)." It seems to me that these are incommensurable cases:
> the latter
> having actively tried to reduce free speech, the former having
> tried to extend
> it.

These are not incommensurable cases: both use the same rhetoric
strategy. They try to invoke universal values to patronize us. The
issue is not free speech: the issue is how they build a poisonous
argument. In one case, they use free speech (as they understand it)
to defend their intent to impose a conservative agenda, which is
based on pseudo-science; in the other case, there is an appellation
to national values to defend particular interests. In both cases, the
acts of speech are not based in the search for mutual understanding
but on the denial of the other. I would love to have time to connect
this with Habermas' take on communication.

> 3) Do we need “closets” (“he just went out of the closet as regards
> his
> political views”)? Are rigorous moral taboos desirable among
> scientists?

No taboos here: I think scientists are citizens as well and they have
to respond for their acts. That reminds me of famous Yale professor
(ex master of a residential college) which a few years ago was
caught in sexual misconduct with a child of New Haven he mentored
(plus storing of pornography in his lab computer). Some colleagues
said his contributions to science where so important that it would be
a great loss for society to put him in jail.

> 4) You consider “a mob reaction” as “the adequate response to
> prejudice.” Since
> every human being possesses prejudices to some extent and of some
> kind, it
> could be interesting to know what and whose prejudices deserve (or
> do not
> deserve) “a mob reaction.”

I consider that a reaction to prejudice is not only necessary but
also a healthy thing. I wish Nazi-scientists would have received a
strong civic reaction during those ominous times when they misused
genetics to denigrate humanity.

> 5) Are you advocating the view that there is only one, monolithic
> Truth (“We
> are not talking here about a guy that is defending a scientific
> truth, such as
> Galileo, Coppernicus, Bruno or many other real heroes”)?

I don´t think that Watson´s statements are comparable to a
heliocentric cosmology. The latter is, indeed, truth. Watson´s
statements have been refuted by a long list of scientists which have
been already referred in this thread.

> 6) Guilt by association: Should we stop reading Vygotsky due to the
> fact that
> the Marxist ideology he to some extent advocated or supported gave
> rise to one
> of the most brutal regimes in recorded history (“we are talking
> about a guy
> that is lending his scientific credentials to a way of thinking
> that supported
> appartheid and many other abhorrent policies in the US and
> elsewhere")?

I don´t understand the analogy, Eirik. As a good marxist, Vygotsky
was indeed a victim of stalinism himself and, indeed, he didn't allow
his scientific credentials to be used to denigrate others.

David