Re: [xmca] Reflective Teaching: A Hall of Mirrors?

From: Jay Lemke <jaylemke who-is-at umich.edu>
Date: Sun Oct 21 2007 - 18:04:49 PDT

Some very interesting points, David. Recordings and transcript data
ARE more useful for some purposes, but if they exist as a backstop,
then the other kinds of impressionistic data can also be valuable, as
data about impressions, from which we can learn a lot (about, say,
salience, habits, expectations, and perhaps matters not so visible
such as feelings).

I did not quite understand the point about suggestions in Korean vs.
question-answer in English. Did you mean what happens in
English-language-medium lessons in Korea? and if so, by culturally
Korean teachers or culturally Anglo-family teachers? or did you mean
what is common in schools in English-speaking countries? -- in that
last case, fortunately, the Q&A is not all-dominant, and it can be
used subtly as well as unthinkingly, of course.

As to making the unconscious explicit so it can be passed on to
others, I am not so optimistic. This is a paradigm that I think
relies too much on the limited powers of Abstraction, the effort to
make all knowledge look like Euclid. Most useful knowledge is
probably best, and maybe only, transmissable by participatory
engagement, though the reflective-reflexive aspect of
knowing/learning is aided by explicitness, and some explicitness (not
all, and often not the most important parts for purposes of learning)
can be framed as declarative knowledge (which tends to be abstractly
phrased because it is meant not to be situation-specific).

So what would happen if Korean future TESOL teachers were embedded in
typical-exemplary Korean primary classrooms with experienced primary,
non-TESOL teachers, and gradually developed ways of integrating some
teaching in/of English that fit with the mood, style, and techniques
of the Korean-language more-adept teacher peers? with a bit of
reflective/reflexive discussions and coaching by TESOL
teacher-educators, on the side ... and maybe occasionally with some
'suggestions' from the Korean-language mentors, too?

A sort of immersive apprenticeship in which the goal is not to teach
the same stuff, but to teach it in a similar way? but where it may
not be possible, or if possible not so helpful, to make that 'way'
explicit -- at least apart from experiential participation?

just a suggestion, though an explicit one!

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor
University of Michigan