Re: [xmca] Nobel prize talks stupid things about human intelligence

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Oct 20 2007 - 17:33:48 PDT

E.

  Isn't the question, at least for those who subscribe to the ideas about human development on which xmca is based, whether Watson believes that genetic differences underlie what makes someone a great scientists or a great musician. As I undeerstand it, Vygotsky thought the human potentials were socially determined. From this point of view doesn't the question become why some societies develop the kind of "control nature science" that developed in the "West" while other societies develop other types of human potential.

  Paul

"E. Knutsson" <eikn6681@student.su.se> wrote:
  Well, the issue here is (at least from my point of view) in part how the mass
media works ("sanctimonious mob reaction" being the outcome of a growing moral
panic). The issue is also whether academe should close ranks and support this
sanctimonious current, or whether it should bide its time and aspire to
mobilize some kind of rational, temperate counterweight to the usual "mob"
chain reaction.

According to this article:
http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article3075664.ece

... he has said that: "To those who have drawn the inference from my words that
Africa, as a continent, is somehow genetically inferior, I can only apologise
unreservedly. This is not what I meant. More importantly from my point of view,
there is no scientific basis for such a belief."

"This is not a discussion about superiority or inferiority, it is about seeking
to understand differences, about why some of us are great musicians and others
great engineers."

"[S]cience is not here to make us feel good."

Perhaps he was misquoted, who knows? He is 79 years old, a grand old man.
Should every non-conformist specimen of the species be ostracized for being
wrong or misquoted? How would the history of science look like without
scientists making mistakes? Who wants to cast the first dogmatist stone?

E.