Re: [xmca] belatedly on Wells' article

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Wed Oct 17 2007 - 18:53:15 PDT

I love your "concrete" example, Jay.
I got involved in xmca c. 1995 when I took on the job of looking after
teaching spaces at the University of Melbourne. Talking to teaching staff I
became aware that the buildings and rooms themselves, equipment and the
whole organisation and conception of teaching infrastructure was stuck in
the 1960s, the last time the relevant architects and administrators had had
anything to do with a lecture theatre. A 7-year project of changing
consciousness, policy documents, financial arrangements and organisational
structures at *every* level then followed, with me pushing from underneath
the whole time. That experience has always formed for me the paradigmatic
example of the mediation of learning and communication by material
artefacts. ... and that didn't even get to content, course design and
teaching practice.
Andy