Re: [xmca] Help With Peirce

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2007 - 18:17:04 PDT

David and Andy,

I won't have time for a more adequate stab at this until after the next
couple weeks, if that's not too late.

Meanwhile, I have quickly looked over the web page linked from Andy's post
and it looks like an excellent place to start. I didn't see if there's an
explanation there of Andy's combination w/
individual/huniversal/particular -- a combination that I don't understand
as yet. Andy is absolutely right about icon not being a thing-in-itself.
In fact, nothing is an icon by itself. To say something is an icon of
something else is to say something about the relation that makes possible
an interpretation of the one thing as being signified by the (iconic) sign
of that thing.

A lot of ink has been spilled classifying particular signs as icons,
indexes, or symbols, often without a clear purpose for classifying them
that way. I don't think these categories are anywhere near as important
for understanding Peirce as people might think from the attention they've
been given. It's something people could grab onto and do something with,
but not always knowing what is being accomplished in so doing.

Andy has brought together explanations etc. on that page that should help.

Also, I like the comments on Colapietro. He's also one of my favorite
writers on Peirce.

DAvid, after you've read Andy's page, you might find it answers your
questions, or you might find it leads to a reformulation of your
questions. If so, our common semiosis might proceed from there.

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716

twhitson@udel.edu