RE: [xmca] Wells article

From: Alexander Surmava <monada who-is-at netvox.ru>
Date: Sun Oct 07 2007 - 18:23:12 PDT

I can comment your questions:

1. Dialectical psychology do insist that a "subject" as well as an "object"
can be understood only as something which can be caused by one and the same
act. If "A" and "B" doesn't interact at all we have no reason to call one of
them "subject" while another - "object". Even in case if "A" is myself and I
have all introspectic evidence of my subjectness. In this case I probably
have at least some imaginary object and interact with it in my imagination.
But if I as "A" don't interact with any "B" I am not a Subject relatively to
"B" and it simply means that "B" is not my object. If I sit in a boat
dreaming and boat is going with the stream along the slow river in total
darkness I can surely be regarded only as a subject of my dreams. But the
situation will radically change if my forehead occasionally meet a low
bridge (surely if I'll survive after this meeting (:-)). In this very moment
I'll find myself as a subject of blow while ill-fated bridge as my object.
Otherwise (without active from my part contact with the opposite, passive
side of interaction) I have no reason to name myself proudly "Subject".

Leont'ev's (Ivan Pavlov's) idea that two things irrespective of their
interaction in which the first plays an active, spontaneous role while the
second is only passive object can be regarded as "Subject" and "Object" is
totally false. The quality of subjectness is not something which can be
understand by examining the inner structure of some body, thou naturally the
body which is able to perform an active role in object-oriented interaction
has to have some special features - we mean it is alive. From other side
life as it is can be rationally understood (without any vitalistic
appendage) as an active process which includes active alive subject and
passive (in this relation) object. Thus when say sheep eats a grass the
sheep plays a role of a subject, while grass is only a passive object. Quite
contrary, when sheep is absent and grass itself is actively spreading its
leaves to the sun the grass acting as a subject of life (object oriented)
activity.

I'm afraid, but I really think that all this evident argumentation, which is
based on ideas of Spinoza, Fichte, Marx and Il'enkov has nothing to do with
any kind of witchcraft and do roots in occidental philosophic culture.

2. As for problem with terms die Vorstellung and das Begriff or their
Russian equivalent predstavlenie i pon'atie, it has nothing to do with any
linguistic. Actually the problem has utterly practical significance. Each
school-teacher or college professor which meets with special ability of
his/here students to repeat after him/here using correct words and theoretic
definitions without a tiny hint to real understanding of problems analyzing
in his/her lecture meets with mentioned above substantial distinction
between Vorstellung and Begriff. So this distinction plays a great role not
only in Hegel's or Il'enkov's logical treatise, but in schools, colleges and
I will add in research practice. Even Vygotsky who knew both German and
Russian and moreover was acquainted with Hegel's and Marx' philosophy become
confused in those categories. Thus reasoning about a development of concepts
(der Begriff) he puts so called "scientific concept" (which in actual fact
is nothing but formal verbal definition or die Vorstellung) in the summit of
the hierarchy of concepts. The great difficultness for all who really want
to understand something, not only imitate such an understanding before
those boring teachers, is to fight his/here way through the word's shell to
the real understanding. The crucial criteria of such an understanding is
practice. I do comprehend something (I muster das Begriff) if basing on my
understanding I can practically act (by my own hands or by hands of other
people) upon some natural or cultural object according to its objective
shape. And contrary the brilliant "knowledge" of all kind of verbal
definitions has nothing to do with real education and real research.

Sasha