RE: [xmca] Wells article

From: Alexander Surmava <monada who-is-at netvox.ru>
Date: Fri Oct 05 2007 - 21:00:58 PDT

Andy, I can entirely corroborate your statement in this post. Especially
this:

>almost all the difficulties you and I have had communicating in >this
discussion, I think, derive from differences in word meaning. >I am a bit
stubborn that way, I admit. I refuse to give up the >meaning of words when
those meanings are so profound and contain so >much of science from the past
which is lost in everyday language. >Apologies. All I can do is enjoin you
to acquaint yourself with the >Hegel-Marx-Vygotsky meaning of these words as
I try to follow what >they mean in the Kant-common sense-modern philosophy
usage. My >observation is that within CHAT these words are used with
>inconsistent meanings by different people.

I am stubborn too, discussing such "word usage". The thing is that behind
the different manner of word usage hides entirely different
cultural-theoretic traditions. The main divide or watershed lies between the
tradition of classical rationalism and dialectic of (Descart, Spinoza,
Hegel, Marx and Il'encov) from one side and the opposite tradition of
classical empiricism of John Locke continued in different type of positivism
and so called common sense reflected in banal everyday word usage. The
opposition of those traditions is reflected even in national languages. Thus
German and Russian languages are more suitable for the first tradition while
the historical development of English speakers made the very English
language more suitable for the other one.

There is an illustration in point the distinction between German Der Begriff
and Die Vorstellung (or equivalent Russian categories: pon'atie and
predstavlenie.) This distinction is masked in English behind the same words.
Thus the common Russian-English dictionary translates pon'atie (Der Begriff)
as "idea, notion, conception". The same set of words it gives as translation
of predstavlenie (Die Vorstellung) "idea, notion, conception".

Meanwhile the modern trend leads to unification of cultures, so as the
deplorable result of globalization we have now the loss of rationalistic or
better to say dialectical tradition and the total expansion of empiricist
tradition at least in Russia. (Luckily all this is only a trend, so the old
dialectical tradition is still alive in Russia among a group of Il'enkov's
followers.)

I deliberately take those looking purely logical categories of "pon'atie and
predstavlenie" and abstain from discussion of looking more psychologically
categories of subject and object to escape the difficulties of
interpretation of different traditional usage of this categories inside
different branches of Vygoskian school or so called CHAT tradition. (For the
record - nevertheless the mishmash with this "pure logical" categories
fundamentally mislead Vygotsky in his "Thinking and Speech". I mean that
native Russian and even being Vygotsky itself can't give a guarantee of
dialectical thinking. The dialectical way of thinking is not a synonym of
some formal thinking style, which can be present or can be absent but
synonym of objective truth, it is inevitab attribute of true thought. So the
real appropriation and assimilation of dialectical method can be realized
only by joint efforts of many investigators all over the world belong to
many generations.)

So the very attempt of international participants of XMCA to understand and
moreover to arm with this uncustomary logic deserves admiration. And maximum
friendly help from those who for one reason or another had a chance to be
familiar with this tradition. Frankly speaking the basic cultural-theoretic
propedeutics (like Peter Moxhay and Steve Gabosh organized two years before)
have to precede discussions of some isolated problems. Surely if we really
want to assimilate difficult dialectical approach, instead of assimilating
only its emasculated terminology.

Sasha Surmava

P.S. Andy, as for your suspect of the basic meaning of the term
"object-oriented activity" in Leont'ev's theory I am afraid I can't agree
with you entirely. I think that this dialectical pair of categories can be
understood only as an indivisible pair, as identity in opposition. And I do
hope that the perspective of clarification of the meaning of "subject" is
much more optimistic, I mean it can be clarified much earlier than some of
us will die J. Especially since the most difficult part of this work was
successfully performed by Marx and Il'enkov.