Re: [xmca] Some comments on Gordon's article

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Sat Sep 29 2007 - 06:59:01 PDT

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, David Kellogg wrote:

> ... Gordon Wells is trying to DEconstrue the word "discourse", to turn it from a thing back into an activity.

I think there's a hazard here for discussing this particular article. In
most contexts, David's rendering would be fine; but in this particular
context, I think Gordon is pointedly arguing that discoursing should be
understood
NOT as an ACTIVITY, but as OPERATION (a distinction that has a
particular significance in CHAT).

I think it will be tricky to be careful about this kind of terminology in
discussing this article, but unnecessary confusion could result if we
don't try to observe such distinctions from the outset.