Re: [xmca] On being silent at XMCA

From: Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth who-is-at uvic.ca>
Date: Fri Sep 28 2007 - 07:22:45 PDT

Dear all,
rather than thinking of English as the language of hegemony and
cultural oppression, think of it as lingua franca, there is no other
spoken as widely---Esperanto never has had wide impact.

Then think of English as a MANY rather than as a one, and in this
move to thinking of speaking Sabir, one of those merchant languages
that mixes languages for the purposes at hand, shifting heterogeneity
to an unfamiliar level, but doing nothing other than what happens at
the heart of English---or French, Spanish, German, Russian.....

Language and culture are mêlées, so don't worry about formalists and
grammarians...

Cheers,
Michael