RE: [xmca] Request for Panelist Names on CHAT History

From: Peter Smagorinsky <smago who-is-at uga.edu>
Date: Tue Sep 11 2007 - 09:35:56 PDT

I have found some people claiming a CHAT perspective to be more dogmatic
than do others in this discussion. At times it's public and explicit, such
as the article that appeared in Educational Researcher a couple of years ago
(I forget the authors and title); I also think of the introduction to
Perspectives on Activity Theory, in which the editors claim that they are
true activity theorists, while people such as Jim Wertsch are not (they
say). I also find dogma in the reviews of my work from anonymous reviewers,
who lecture on this point or that as being rightfully faithful to true AT
tenets; and as a result I've stopped calling my work CHAT-oriented and more
Vygotsky-oriented so as not to obligate myself to fit into other people's
boxes. And so I'm less sanguine than some about the prospects for producing
any kind of definitive history of the discipline.

Peter Smagorinsky
The University of Georgia
Department of Language and Literacy Education
125 Aderhold Hall
Athens, GA 30602-7123
smago@uga.edu /fax:706-542-4509/phone:706-542-4507/
http://www.coe.uga.edu/lle/faculty/smagorinsky/index.html