Re: RE: [xmca] Request for Panelist Names on CHAT History

From: Mary van der Riet <vanderriet who-is-at ukzn.ac.za>
Date: Tue Sep 11 2007 - 06:59:31 PDT

2nd email
I would also like to suggest that there are a range of application of CHAT in different disciplines, addressing different themes, and in different settings which extent beyond education settings. They include organisational/work settings (the psychology of work), to developing contexts (in the field of development studies), issues of health and behaviour change (HIV/AIDS interventions); to technology, hci etc.

A discussion of the history surely should include a reference to the activity/practice!

Mary

Mary van der Riet; School of Psychology; University of KwaZulu-Natal
Private Bag X01, Scottsville, 3209

email: vanderriet@ukzn.ac.za
tel: 033 260 6163; fax: 033 2605809

>>> "Peter Smagorinsky" <smago@uga.edu> 09/11/07 12:07 PM >>>
That Cole feller also writes a nice pre-history of CHAT in Cultural
Psychology.
I'll be interested to see how people tease apart what is CHAT from what is
not. In CP Mike talks about the roots perhaps going back to, I think,
Herodotus (450 BC) who aimed to understand the wars as cultural conflicts.
Does he count? Do people need to invoke CHAT specifically to be included?
And since I've seen some weird things invoked in the name of activity
theory, how do you distinguish between a "genuine" CHAT perspective and that
that is not? Is CHAT different from Activity Theory, or other perspectives
grounded in the work of Leont'ev and Vygotsky?
Some knotty stuff here, and I look forward to seeing how it pans out. Peter

Peter Smagorinsky
The University of Georgia
Department of Language and Literacy Education
125 Aderhold Hall
Athens, GA 30602-7123
smago@uga.edu /fax:706-542-4509/phone:706-542-4507/
http://www.coe.uga.edu/lle/faculty/smagorinsky/index.html