Re: [xmca] Response to DK about Volition

From: Steve Gabosch <sgabosch who-is-at comcast.net>
Date: Mon Sep 10 2007 - 05:45:39 PDT

At 04:58 PM 9/10/2007 +1000, Andy Blunden wrote:
>Allahu Akbar!!

LOL. I don't see nature as Almighty in the sense a religious person
would see God or Allah. Nature certainly is vast, though. If the
big bang epicenter started sending out light 13.7 billion years ago,
the diameter of the visible universe should be 27.4 billion light
years, but we know it is much bigger than that because the universe
is expanding. We know this because the total mass of galaxies would
collapse the known universe otherwise. Also, such linear
calculations are invalid because spacetime is curved. We know this
because of the way light coming from the stars behaves, and from the
behaviors of subatomic particles. And we might be dealing with not
just one universe, but multiverses. We know this is possible because
we have mathematical tools for imagining reality in more than three
dimensions, and because we theorize that there was a reality before
the big bang. Mindblowing ideas, aren't they?

My point here is that a scientific approach to nature, full of awe
and imagination, is entirely different from a religious view of the
supernatural. One is based on empirical fact, the other,
spiritualist faith. Nature is ultimately knowable; God is not.

- Steve