[xmca] signs and tools-for-thought: an analogy?

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Sun Sep 09 2007 - 20:25:26 PDT

In an earlier post, I repeated Peirce's view that thought is
sign-activity, and asked, if signs are merely tools for thought, then what
do we take thought, itself, to be?

Reflecting on that, it occurs to me that it might be helpful to suggest
this as an analogy:

To say that signs are tools for thought, is rather like saying that
molecules are tools for heat.

To think of thought AS sign activity, is it helpful, as a lame analogy, to
think of heat AS Brownian motion?

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716