Re: [xmca] Response to David Kellogg about Volition

From: Geoff <geoffrey.binder who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sat Sep 08 2007 - 19:29:37 PDT

Is my thinking correct here? If we accept the second law of
thermo-dynamics as true (entropy is natural and in the long term
unavoidable) then the entropy stands in a dialectical relationship to
organisation - life.

On 09/09/07, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:
> At 12:22 PM 8/09/2007 -0700, you wrote:
> >At 10:37 AM 9/8/2007 +1000, you wrote:
> >>Steve, could you give a simple, 2 or 3 lines maybe, explanation of what
> >>you *mean* by "nature is dialectical"?
> >>Andy
> >

> >Sure,I can give that a shot. Three aspects initially come to mind
> >regarding the claim "nature is dialectical." First, it is a claim that
> >nature is always in flux, always changing, constantly developing and
> >ever-transforming itself.
>
> This is trivial, isn't it? Who on Earth would deny it, since about 1000 BC?
>
> >Second, it is a claim that nature's motions and their history are
> >comprehensible through human practice, science, and the special science of
> >dialectical reasoning (which Engels defined as "the science of the laws of
> >motion").
>
> The claim about the intelligibility of Nature is as much a claim about
> human thought. While it is a claim of profound significance, it is really
> nothing to do with dialectics and the argument over whether Nature is
> dialectic or only thought or only history, as has been disputed over the
> past century.
>

> > Third, it is a claim that dialectical reasoning - more precisely,
> > materialist dialectics - incorporates and has advanced beyond mechanical
> > and metaphysical methods of thinking, which offer more limited and less
> > robust views of understanding nature.
>

> That is just a sectarian claim, Steve. It will convince no-one who is not
> already convinced.
>
> Andy
>
> >- Steve

> >> Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435, AIM
> >> identity: AndyMarxists mobile 0409 358 651

> Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435, AIM
> identity: AndyMarxists mobile 0409 358 651

Geoffrey Binder
BA (SS) La Trobe, BArch (Hons) RMIT
PhD Candidate
Global Studies, Social Sciences and Planning RMIT
Ph B. 9925 9951
M. 0422 968 567