RE: [xmca] mediational theories of mind: Suggestions requested

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Sat Sep 08 2007 - 06:16:31 PDT

Hi, Don,

I don't disagree with anything you say in this post. However, the
narrative of cognitivism as a superior successor to behaviorism is a
narrative that is generally taught and learned in our School of Ed, and I
suspect not only in our place. And, as a matter of historical reality,
behaviorism did exercise hegemony, as I think cognitivism does now.

When I deal with this in my classes, I stress that of course cognitive
science does not deny or disparage behavior, or the behavioral science
approaches to understanding behavior. Nor does social ontology deny or
disparage cognition, or the cognitive science approaches to understanding
cognition.

The problem lies in the reductionism whereby cognitivism (i.e., the
reductive ideology) insists on treating matters that are not just matters
of cognition as if they are merely cognitive, or can be understood
adequately in purely cognitive terms. As suggested on http://postcog.net ,
it seems to me that this is what is done, for example, in the "How People
Learn" model (Bransford, et al.) which has attained a kind of canonical
status at our place, and I think widely in Education. So, for example,
Lave is cited for the point that context involves conditions that are
consequential for cognition. That proposition certainly is implicated in
Lave's work, but to reduce her theory to that cognitivist plane is a real,
limiting distortion, IMHO.

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716