Re: [xmca] Natural vs. Human Dialectics

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Sep 07 2007 - 23:56:35 PDT

Andy,

  I have a queston concerning your example of the chick recognizing the profile of the predator. The last time I read or saw anything about the phenomena of the chicken's reactions to hawk shadows, it was used as an example of instinct, inherited imprinting, no learning in the sense of interactions between individuals, simply something in the physical wiring, coded in the genes. So I'm wondering if there are more recent studies about this.

   It wouldn't surprise me to find that that so-called "imprinting" is really a learned behavior. Some years agon I heard a delightful, space-shaping, NPR boadcast concerning bird songs. It appears that new-born song birds don't just start singing while waiting for mom to stuff a worm down their throats, but must learn the songs through interaction with mom while still in the nest. . But beyond that, different flocks (territorially defined by the ornithologists pursuing this work), have slightly different ways of producing the species-related songs. Inidividual birds who end up in a flock different from that in which they were born learn the variations of the songsnof the new flock. So I would really like to know if there is something similar for chicken predator recognition.

  I'm sure you can see how this would relate and hopefully dissolve the nature/culture distinction and thereby dissolve the nature dialectic conundrum.

  Paul Dillon

Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:
  Welcome Geoff. It's good to hear new voices.

Many animals are intelligent though, and respond to their environment by
learning. Whatever "agentive" means, I don't think that a chick learning to
recognise and a avoid a predator by learning the shape of their silhouette
is thereby "agentive". Surely it's what you mention in passing, that our
environment is cultural, that is, we adapt to products of previous
generations and create more cultural artefacts in the process?

BTW, what *do* you mean by "agentive"? :-)

Andy