Re: [xmca] Shotter on Clark

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 03 2007 - 17:41:35 PDT

A few quiet moments before the next tumult, Tony. I'll try to articulate my
thoughts re Shotter's review
of Clark.

First, I am STILL glad, as Shotter also celebrates, that Clark is examining
joint action as the locus of language acquisition/use. (I should add here
that, havng reluctantly finished David Copperfield, I am reading Putnam's
Pragmaticism, and am on the chapter about Wittgenstein as pragmaticist, a
felicitous coincidence, although I prefer the luxury of Dickens, who has
somehow captivated me in "late middle age.").

My thought when reading the first couple of chapters of Clark and now
reading Shotter's review, is that the term, ACTIVITY is missing. It is
missing
both from Clark and Shotter. I like joint mediated ACTIVITY as a unit of
analysis for lots of reasons and from this discussion I come away kind of
reinforced in that proclivity. It relates to terms like "spontaneous" and
that "spontaneous reactions between us are "the prototype of a way of
thinking and not the result of thought." After writing this, John uses the
term activity(top p. 3).

I am pretty certain we have to stick with the retrospective construction of
meaning (contra herb c/descartes etc) but we have to have a place to be when
retro-specting" and that heterochrony is afforded by activity.

So my next step would be, given the time (I hear the car in the driveway)
would be to look for the conditions that make the use of the term,.
spontaneous, reasonable.

quickly
mike