Re: [xmca] Explaining the construction of "real things" & "systems don't think"

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Sep 03 2007 - 12:45:20 PDT

Michael,

  If I was going to repsond to the second question: "In a theory such as CHAT, how does one prevent the individual from being "lost to the system or collective?" I would problematize the question; e.g., to point out that whatever is experienced as "the individual: is a collective phenomena. Can any evidence be produced about "the individual" that is not recognized, expressed, understood, etc. in systems (e.g., culture, language, ) that are already and inherently collective, that exist before any notion of an "individual" appears, and that will continue to exist after the "individual" passes out of the system?

   I don't know a single person who sees the earth orbit the sun but everyone I know clearly sees the sun move in the sky. Same deal. Mazatecan sage brings this out clearly.

  Paul Dillon