Re: [xmca] Thoughtsnotools

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Sep 01 2007 - 21:33:41 PDT

mike and all,

  with respect to the transformation of the body into a laboring machine, Silvia Federici's "Caliban and the Witch" is a very interesting study of how that came about between the 15th and the 17th centuries in the form of "The Great Witch Hunt". The historical process resulting in the body as (work) machine (a la Descartes) took a long time and turned male against female in a way unknown previously, shutting women out of the public sphere and providing the unpaid labor that would cheapen the labor. Worth looking at for those interested in the development of capitalism, women's history, and western history in general. Sometimes her interpretations and use of the historical data seem forced in comparison with such historians as E.P. Thompson, Eric Hobsbawm or even Fernand Braudel,to whom her approach is most comparable, but her central analysis is solid and really gets past Foucault's air castles insofar as the transformation of the body image in Europe (and countries
 conquered by Europeans) is concerned..

  Paul Dillon

Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:
  This message came at a time when it was awkward for me to comment, David.
I have only heard of Needham, not read him, but will set out to remedy that.
also found your critique of Foucault very helpful and of course agree about
the
interpretation of (all, but in this case, Vai) literacy.

Thanks for taking the time to put these thoughts down on bytes for us to
chew on.
mike