Re: [xmca] Point of view in writing

From: Kimberly <mik88 who-is-at verizon.net>
Date: Thu Aug 16 2007 - 09:56:52 PDT

Hi Mike,

I'm a little confused by your response. It almost sounds as if you are
saying a third person approach doesn't have the same "potential pitfalls"
that you mentioned. My understanding is that data collection must be
systematic, thorough, and well-organized no matter what the writing approach
used. Fieldnotes, personal notes, transcriptions, triangulation through
correspondence, public notices, student work/journals, interviews, etc. are
the empirical bases for the interpretation of the data. First person
doesn't necessarily mean just a retrospective account or memoir. I think it
can be just as systematic, rigorous, "objective," and empirically-based as
any third person approach. Writing in first person, however, puts the
inevitable subjectivity of the author up front on the table. I think, too,
the personal voice (at least in education) may help to bridge the gap
between researcher and practitioner.

Kim