RE: [xmca] Schatzki

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Sun Aug 12 2007 - 08:52:28 PDT

Branimira,

Here is another book that I think you'll want to see:
Spinuzzi, Clay. Tracing Genres through Organizations: A Sociocultural
Approach to Information Design, Acting with Technology;. Cambridge, Mass.:
MIT Press, 2003.

Here is a link that shows WorldCat participating libraries where the book
can be found (If you enter your own location, libraries are listed in
order of proximity to you):

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/51923321

Here is the WorldCat link for the Schatzki book
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/33334500

Spinuzzi's book should be of interest for a couple reasons. His
theoretical approach is CHAT, supplemented with his own "Genre Tracing"
methodology, which involves anaylsis of developing "genres" and "genre
ecologies" to investigate a developing activity system across the levels
of operations, actions, and activities.

Without having read Schatzki, it sounds to me like his "practices" are
more like Spinuzzi's "genres" than they are like "activities" in the CHAT
sense -- although these can be all brought into the same picture together.
In Spinuzzi's approach, there can be multiple genres operating in an
Activity System, and a genre may be seen to operate in diverse activities.

Spinuzzi's genre approach develops from a school of genre studies rooted
in Bakhtin.

The other reason you might want to see this book is that it illustrates
the CHAT/genre tracing approach with an extended study (covering decades)
of the Accident Location and Analysis System in the US state of Iowa. It
seems like there would be a high degree of overlap between the information
seeking and using activities between his study and yours.

-- Tony

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007, Branimira Slavova wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> Thanks for your interest!
> The Schatzki book I've been reading is: "Social Practices: A Wittgensteinian Approach to Human Activity and the Social" (Cambridge University Press, 1996). A copy of it should not be too hard to get. He discusses the ideas of dipersed practices and interative practices in Ch. 3. After reading it I thought that integrative practices parallel quite closely activities as understood in AT but I could not find a parallel for the concept of dispersed practices. The way I understood those is as a sort of modular sayings and doings, which can occur within the context of different integrative practices and hold different meanings. For example, questioning can be thought of as a dispersed practice because it does not carry its own rules or teleoaffective structure. These are provided by the different integrative practices within which questioning occurs -- practices as different as interrogating and teaching.
>
> What I am interested is being able to discuss within an AT framework elements consistent with Schatzki's dispersed practices. I am working on a project studying the use of mobile technologies for information-seeking during routine policing activities in the UK. I am looking at a number of activities such as traffic stops and emergency response to incidents. AT is our set framework and I would find being able to discuss information-seeking episodes occuring within the different activities very useful. I just don't know if AT carries something of its own which can do the job.
>
> Regards,
> Mira
>

> Dr Mira Slavova
> Research Fellow in Information Management
> AIM TECH
> Maurice Keyworth Building
> The University of Leeds
> Leeds LS2 9JT