Re: [xmca] Emotion at Work

From: Mabel Encinas <liliamabel who-is-at hotmail.com>
Date: Sat Aug 11 2007 - 06:57:21 PDT

Dear Steve and all,
The issue you rise is very important, and I think it is in the core of what
Michael R. is studying when he studies emotions, i.e. the relationship
between subjective and objective needs. This is a philosophical issue, I
think.
On the one hand, the subjective needs of the individuals involved in the
activity happen in the context of the activity itself. For example, the
subjective need of ‘doing research’ about better environments for growing
fish, by Jack in the paper, implies the context, where growing fish is
meaningful, and research is appreciated. The emotion, frustration or anger,
that Jack feels possibly does not only give an account of Jack’s
preferences, but also of changes in the management that Michael underlines,
I think. At the end, in a very touchy note, Michael mentions Jack’s
subjective change, when he was able to pursue new research projects. The
subjective needs are context related.
On the other hand, and interestingly, the “objective” needs of the activity
are enacted subjectively by individuals, as Michael points out. The need of
caring for the fish, is enacted by the happiness associated for the fish
growing up well, expressed by Erin when measuring fish. As Michael
underlines, the thinking in this content is intertwined within “the full
vitality of life”, which is emotional, and so it is important.
Then I wonder, where could the subjective needs come from, but from the
actions, in the context of different activities that human beings realise?
For Vygotsky, it is important to consider the unit of affective and
intellectual processes. So, he invested a lot of time in Vol. 6 of The
Collected Works and in fact in several parts of them, not only Vol. 6, I was
saying in demonstrating philosophically the dualism inherent in most
psychological perspectives and then how this unity could not be broken to
start.
Then, what I have clear so far is that the satisfaction of needs is not
opposed to the knowledge of reality, unless we have a duality. There is of
course not an identity between them, but maybe a dialectical process, I
guess. Where thinking and feeling work in the same direction, or at least
can work like that.
What do you think?
I have to think on what you say Andy.
Cheers,