Re: [xmca] Hiroshima Nagasaki

From: Naeem Hashmi <nhashmi who-is-at infoframeworks.com>
Date: Fri Aug 10 2007 - 14:58:02 PDT

Mike,

I could not agree more ... we, here is America, have a very short
memory....Perhaps, a Nations' memory maturation comes with age of culture of
the nation ! (... but that's another discussion thread..) Moreover, we
don't teach our kids 'what is outside'. We teach kids from only looking
inside - not looking from outside-in.

Me, being a Nuclear Physicist, I often sit back and think, how in the name
of self-defined-security, we destroy 'humanity".

It was just a coincidence, or an unconscious effort, that 2 days back on the
anniversary of A-Bomb drop, I was sorting through my 'old' photo album. This
photo (a snap of the photo is attached) popped out that reminded me of the
moment when I actually held this object in my hand that triggered stream of
emotions way back in August 1979....almost 30 years back (yes.. another old
fellow...)

Well, this object was collected by a team of Americans who went to
Hiroshima-and-Nagasaki after the a-BOM to observe its effects. In 1979,
when I was working at the Nuclear Radiation Center (NRC) at Washington State
University, this object was brought in to scan for radioactivity. I do not
recall which colleague brought this to the NRC but I took this photo. This
was a ceramic doll or something which still had intense heat burn marks on
forehead, chest and side due to Intense heat exposure... When I held the
object in my palm, I sensed as if Object is communicating and asking
'why'... and this photo brings back same emotions anytime when I see..
Perhaps touching an object that survived reminds of thousands of innocent
lost lives that have no choice...

Naeem

---
Naeem Hashmi